Every morning Bill Plympton wakes up at six, goes to his drawing board, gets a piece of bond and a No. 2 pencil and sits down to the business of animating the indelible, noirish figures that have garnered cult status as Plymptoons. What began in high school with drawings of bugs and plants for the Portland Yellow Pages has grown into an empire that encompasses political cartoons, animated shorts, features, advertisements, music videos (his first for Madonna; his latest for Kanye), and a forthcoming Rizzoli book (Independently Animated: Bill Plympton) with a Terry Gilliam forward. Along the way he’s filled his shelves full of awards, not to mention earned two Oscar nods. On the eve of the release of his latest feature, Idiots & Angels, we caught up with the industrious illustrator at his Chelsea studio to talk about the new feature, working with Kanye (vs. Weird Al), and what’s really going down on the animator groupie circuit.
photographs by David Potes
We are pleased to present our 171st installment of Sound Advice featuring Handselecta. Created in 2003 by Christian Acker, Handselecta is a project to create authentic and usable fonts based upon graffiti hand styles. The culmination of this project is the 2013 book Flip the Script, A Guide Book For Aspiring Vandals and Typographers.
Sound Advice 171
01. Apache by Incredible Bongo Band
02. Out Ta Bomb by Lordz Of Brooklyn
03. Hard Times by Baby Huey
04. Return Of The Funky Man by Lord Finesse
05. Check Tha Resume by Grand Puba
06. Forty Days by Billy Brooks
07. The White Moses by Beezwax
08. Speaker Breaker by Ray Barbee Meets The Mattson 2
09. Skillz by Gang Starr
10. Beautiful Music by Action Bronson
11. Summer In The City by Quincy Jones
12. Wrong Side of Da Tracks by Artifacts
13. Give It Up by Lee Dorsey
14. Easy Star by Poor Righteous Teachers
15. Sport by Lightnin’ Rod
16. The Only One by The Black Keys
17. Music Man by Pleasure
18. Groovin’ by Willie Mitchell
19. Flip The Script (Outro)
Download Sound Advice 171 Now!
Harmony Korine’s first novel is being reissued as a paperback.
“It’s about a race war and it happens in Florida. And the Jewish people sit in trees. And the black people are run by M.C. Hammer. And the whites are run by Vanilla Ice. I wanted to write the Great American Choose Your Own Adventure novel”
The PictureBox Subscription Plan
Some great titles coming out this year.
We’ve been huge fans of Jerry Hsu’s photography for a second. So when images of his new book arrived in our inbox, we were stoked. Published through SPA, The Killing Season chronicles Jerry’s 3-week motorcycle ride across Vietnam. More info on the book here.
This is a really elegant book focusing on KAWS’ exhibition at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta.
Available through KAWS and Picture Box
The “cocktail garden” is our new favorite type of garden.
Peep the book The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World’s Great Drinks here
The accompanying book to the landmark exhibition at the Corcoran delves even further into culture in the Nation’s Capital with over 1000 images contained in 320 pages. Roger Gastman is a king of compilation.
Available signed here
We are pleased to present our 167th installment of Sound Advice featuring Adam Mansbach. Adam is an award-winning novelist and screenwriter living and working in Berkeley, California. His latest novel, Rage Is Back, is out now.
Sound Advice 167
01. Earth by Joe Henderson ft. Alice Coltrane
02. Another Country by Demon Fuzz
03. Tensity by Cannonball Adderley
04. Camel Walk by Sabu Martinez
05. Manteca by Dizzy Gillespie
06. Free Angela by Bayete Todd Cochran
07. Ghetto: Misfortune’s Wealth by 24 Karat Black
08. Singing a Song For My Mother by Bohannon
09. Your Mama Wants Ya Back by Betty Davis
10. Hit or Miss by Odetta
11. Take Yo’ Praise by Camille Yarborough
12. And That’s Saying A Lot by Christine McVeigh
13. Funkier Than A Mosquito’s Tweeter by Nina Simone
14. Popcorn by The Upsetters
15. Soul Drums by Pretty Purdie
16. NT by Kool & The Gang
17. Best Kept Secret by Diamond D and the Psychotic Neurotics
18. Time’s Up by O.C.
19. Broken Language by Smoothe da Hustler
20. Broken Language Pt. II by Trigga tha Gambler
21. Headz Ain’t Redee by Boot Camp Clik
22. Scalp Dem by Super Cat ft. Method Man
23. Suicide Murder by Bounty Killa & Jeru
24. Big Beat Bam Bam (Stretch Armstrong remix) by Sister Nancy
25. Sensi, Cheeba by Burro Banton
Download Sound Advice 167
Mike Brodie is a busy man right now. The 28-year old’s first monograph, A Period of Juvenile Prosperity, was just published by Twin Palms, and he opens an exhibition under the same name tonight (3/7) at Yossi Milo. Tomorrow night (3/8), Brodie has a book signing at Dashwood, and on March 16th, a show of the same work will be exhibited in Los Angeles at M+B, followed by another book signing at Family Books on the 17th.
With so much going on, we caught a couple moments of Brodie’s time to have him explain to us the story behind some of his photographs.
Graffiti writers have the best handwriting, and this new book by Christian Acker of HANDSELECTA fame locks down that claim. Tracing the origins of handstyles across the continental USA, FLIP THE SCRIPT showcases and dissects the penmanship from some of the finest in the craft. A must have for every creative bookshelf.
Available through Gingko Press